Saturday, May 20, 2017

Madrid Medieval y Literario

Fridays we don't have class so we got an early start to our Madrid Walks. We finished Medieval and Literary Madrid both in the same day - it was nuts. Then we went to the El Museo Reina Sofia afterwards to go see a ton of Picasso's work, including Guernica. I'm not sure I'm the best appreciater of Picasso's work - I thought most of it was kinda weird looking. Guernica was pretty cool though, I did like that one. I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the cubism aspect of art, but I did really appreciate the opportunity to see so much of Picasso's art considering how widely known he is in the art world. After El Museo we went to a stake YSA dance. Our group definitely brought the party. When we got there, there were probably about 20 people there - add our 20 and it's all of a sudden a huge party! It was set up kind of like our church building in Italy - they had taken down all the chairs in the chapel and were using it as their dance room. It was cool! Most of the people there were really good dancers - we tried our best haha. I actually got asked to dance by a couple of the natives, it was a lot of fun!

I was feeling so dumb in the morning because I walked the 20 minutes to the train station, and then upon getting there realized I had forgotten my abono. The abono is the card we have that gets us onto all the public transportation in Madrid - metro, train, bus etc. So I had to go home and get it and come back. I felt so bad but the boys were really nice about it.
Stefan got a giant chocolate pastry thing and gave me this part but I'd already eaten some of it here. It was a huge part! The chocolate things was the size of the bag, which is bigger than pictured here. It was giant.

Medieval Madrid


Wall from back in the days when the Moslems were reigning over Madrid.



Cute European street
 Okay so this is the San Isidro Museum/his house. This well here is a big deal because it's one of the miracles performed not by, but for San Isidro. The story has it that a child (maybe his child) was playing next to the well, and fell in. The mother was crying her eyes out because there's no way anyone could go down the well to get him and the child couldn't swim - it was certain death. (This well IS HUGE) So San Isidro prayed for the safe return of the child, and then miraculously the water in the well started to raise. The water came all the way to the top, and sitting on top of the water splashing and as happy as could be was the child, perfectly unharmed. This is that well.


 Another story about San Isidro that's depicted here, is that he spent so much time in prayer that angels came down from heaven to do his work for him. Maybe I should try that out - I wouldn't mind an angel taking some final exams for me. ;)

Rocking the front backpack look

The lady told us that the water in the fountain would damage our skin if we touched it, but the water from this spout was some of the freshet and coolest water in all of Madrid. Not gonna lie, it was pretty good water.


After we finished up the Madrid Medieval (in Spanish that's pronounced Med-ee-ih-val) Walk, we decided that we needed an helado break. We're still working on finding the best helado in Spain. Will keep you posted.


Madrid Literario








Pretty cool door from the Baroque times


El Museo Reina Sofia
We felt like the CIA with our one sided ear pieces for our tour





McKay isn't a fan of heights - nor the glass elevator


Stake Dance


It was a pretty fun Friday! One of the native boys at the dance was funny - he told me he wanted to dance with me every single day. I told him I'd have to check my schedule and that I probably wouldn't have time. He said to let him know. I said okay. Lol SOS hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment

La Última Despedida

Well, this was it! My last morning in Spain before heading off to the airport to fly home. It was sad! Raimundo wasn't home so Gloria c...